Utilizing buzzing guitars, stream-of-consciousness lyrics, and an eccentric new wave revival sensibility, Ian James is a one-man powerhouse of fatalist indie rock, in addition to helming the experimental free-form radio show Christian’s Cosmic Corner. His brand new full-length Page Turner dropped just this month, so it’s time once again to ask…
5 QUESTIONS FOR IAN JAMES
1. What’s the last GREAT album you’ve recently listened to?
I recently stumbled on an older album from 2005 from a band called Diamond Nights and the album is called Popcicle. It’s this cool rock album that has hints of Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, and early Kings of Leon. I’ve had it on repeat wondering how I ever missed it.
2. What band or artist would you most like to share a bill or collaborate with?
I’d love to collab with Johnny Blaze, guitarist of The Elovaters, a reggae group from the south shore, He’s incredible with a lot of tricks, it would be great to learn some stuff while ripping a new song.
3. What passions and hobbies do you follow outside of music?
I’m an introvert who talks and sings to his cats.
They don’t judge.
4. What’s the one thing about the music scene as a whole you’d like to change?
More shows and festivals of mixed genres. I know it’s not everyone’s idea of fun to see hip hop, rock and reggae on the same bill, but from a discovery stand point those types of events are cool. and I’m not limiting it those genres, anything goes.
5. What is one of your most fond memories as a musician? (This question comes from the previous 5 Questions interview Dani Westlund)
Hearing back studio takes for the first time when I was 16. There was nothing quite like the feeling I had in my first band, releasing our first cassette and keeping it on repeat. That was magical.
Ian James’ latest full-length release Page Turner was released on March 5th, and can be found for streaming and downloading via his BandCamp page. Further information and news can also be found at his website.